Presenting a property is just like getting your car ready to sell in a
competitive marketplace. Here are some tips to help give
your property a competitive edge.
Here are 8 easy steps by interior designer Catherine Whittling to ensure you give your property
the best chance in today’s competitive real estate marketplace.
Give the outside of your property a professional house wash – just like putting your car in a
car wash – cleaning all brickwork, eaves, windows, gutters, driveways and paved areas.
- Look at your house as a purchaser would… take a photo of the front of your house and
assess its street appeal – does it need some potted colour, feature plants in modern pots or a
new screen door?
- Spruce up the inside with a coat of paint, even just painting a master bedroom and main
living area can add a breath of fresh air into the home.
- Splash a little colour inside. Choose colours that reflect the lifestyle of your property and
open up the space in a room. Ensure colours work with the architecture and are appealing to
potential clients. You may wish to pick-up your linen colour scheme in a feature wall.
- Keep furniture and furnishings simple, clean and uncluttered – remember lots of people will
be walking through your property during an open house inspection. Stop purchasers pacing up
and down a small room by furnishing it accordingly.
- Use mirrors and lamps to create optical illusions of space in small dark areas or to reflect
interesting colour schemes and furniture in the room.
- Small rooms don’t only have to be marketed for kids with bunk beds! Or turned into a
nursery! Try using a day bed. Create a sense of functionality and organization within a small
- Create a LIFESTYLE in your home – create desire within your property. Who is your target
market? What do they need? Keep the interior simple, clutter free and inviting. Try to imaging
“What will my home look like as a photograph?”
We hope some of these suggestions are of benefit to you. Our friendly team at Harcourts Ascot always aim to please.